Tuesday, January 17, 2023

An unexpected trip

 So, a crazy thing happened. Allison fell off her 2nd Story balcony and broke her pelvis. It was so terrible. She was in the hospital, then care center for 3 weeks total. Poor little Leah was only 7 months old.  Allison has had many miracles but still an extremely difficult recovery.  We all (my mom and sisters, and Kent's mom) took turns going to stay with her family for a few days each.  I arrived just a couple of days after she got home from the care center.  (May 29-June 1 I was there.) Allison could walk with a walker, which was a miracle!  But couldn't carry Leah or even pick her up.  She could only hold her seated.  She couldn't do stairs for another 6 weeks.  So I got to hold and take care of Leah a lot, it was fun!  She was so sweet!

I also got to hang out with the whole fam, cook meals, and try to help Allison rest whenever possible. 
I did get to go on a couple of runs, and I saw this turtle on the road! Never seen a turtle in the wild- the MacKays live surrounded by forest. So that was exciting!

One of my biggest projects was to clean and vacuum the whole upstairs, which hadn't happened in the month since her accident.  Here was Spencer in his bed before the cleanup and sheet washing.  It went pretty well, the kids were fairly helpful. 
I had fun getting to know Spencer, I had only seen him once in the 3 years since they moved!  He is a hilarious 4-year-old! We played with chalk and he made me guess what he was drawing, I can't even remember what it ended up being, maybe the Death Star?? It was really fun.
The 4 days went by too fast, but that's all the time I could give.  I missed my own family a lot! But I'm so glad I got to go help.  And it was cool to see where they have been living- soon I would find out they were moving to California!

No comments:

Post a Comment