Thursday, February 23, 2023

The Long -Awaited Family Triathlon!!

 THIS!  Was Amazing.

Ever since we did it When Katelyn and Whitney were 11 and 9 maybe? I have wanted to do a kids or family triathlon again.  It's just such fun and perfect training as a family- to go on bike rides and runs and swim laps!
So when I found this race in MURRAY, Utah of all places, I knew it was meant to be!  And it is SO cool, they have such great variety of distances by age, it was perfect for us.  The kids and Eric all agreed to sign up for it- I told Katelyn she didn't have to run the whole way haha. I made us a training schedule, with one run, bike, and swim per week.  And then a couple of bike/run and swim/bikes at the end to practice.  We did the final practice in Highland, in Grandma and Grandpa's pool/around their neighborhood.  It was hard!  But I convinced them it would be easier on race day when they were pumped up for it. 
So Labor Day Monday we got up early and loaded up the bikes, and drove 2 cars to the race!  It was fun to set up transition stations and get body marked and everything- together!
Mary came to help take care of kids while me and Eric raced, so she got this picture for us- another of my dreams come true to have my whole family do a race together!

Here they are lined up in their age groups before the race start!!
So cute!!

Emma did so great!  Blazed through the 25 meter swim, straight through without a pause!  Then she hopped on her bike for the 3/4 mile ride.  I ran alongside her most of the way.
She didn't love the 400 meter run at the end, but she did well!
Eric got this picture for me of Maris's swim- he stayed in the pool area to cheer for Maris and then Owen, while I went out to see them on the bikes.  Maris had to swim 50 meters, ride 1.5 miles and run 1/2 a mile. She did amazing even though her bike was trash (sorry 4th child to have that bike!) and the brakes were constantly rubbing the tire so it made it harder to pedal.  She was used to it, bit still!!  Tough girl!! 

On the run she pushed a little too hard and got out of breath and was stressed for a minute, but I told her to just walk for a second and take slow breaths....she calmed down enough to keep going and finish! Doesn't she just look like a runner??
Cuties after their race!!
I didn't get to see Owen until he finished his bike segment- here he is pulling in after his 3 mile loop!  (his swim was 100 meters) And when he was taking off to start his run I called his name, here he is looking over at me! He ran 3/4 a mile- it was long for him,, he doesn't like running! But he ran most of the way, only taking a couple of breaks, and finished strong.

Right after cheering for Owen running, I had to go in and get ready to start. but I snapped this picture of Whitney going into the transition area to get on her bike after the swim. She had trained the least for the triathlon specifically, but since she was right in the middle of her high school soccer season, she was in pretty great shape and did well!  
She and Katelyn had to do the adult distance of 300m swim, 6 mile bike and 1.5 mile run.
Katelyn started a few minutes before me and Eric, so we got to cheer for her swimming for a minute, and see her leaving the transition area when we were going into it.  She didn't love any part of the race, even biking (which she usually enjoys) because there were several big hills in the race. And we had to do 2 loops of the 3 mile course, so the 2nd time you knew what was coming.  And then she HATES running, especially when she was already tired from the other parts.  Eric and I both passed her on the bike, and both stopped to talk to her and try to encourage her. She walked a lot on the run part, but ran it in at the end!  I was so proud of her for finishing something so hard! I know it's not her thing.  But she did it to be with her family and that's admirable.
I tried so hard to catch up to Eric on the bike, but he had smoked me on the swim so I didn't quite do it.  He ran the whole way on the run portion I think, but I did finally catch him and pass him with 3/4 mile left!  I also got to see Whitney on the run, and we both encouraged each other, she was almost done and I had a mile to go. I actually destroyed everyone on the run- fastest woman and only one man beat me!  10 minute mile and a half! BUT ironically, I still took 4th in my age group and didn't medal.  There are some FAST swimmers and bikers out there haha. It was super cute though because ERIC took 2nd in his age group, he was SO cute going up to get his medal!  And Whitney WON her age group, she was the only 13-14 year old girl there! haha she didn't care that she was 1st out of 1, she was so happy!  And then KATELYN heard her name called, and she totally perked up!  She had been kind of grumpy about the race but as soon as she found out she got a medal (2nd out of 2, but she didn't care either!) her happiness was renewed. We told them they deserved it for being cool enough teenagers to get out of the house and try something new/hard. Also cute Emma took 2nd in her age group!!
Eric on the stand, and the whole fam with our finishers medals/other medals.

I think Owen and Maris were a little bummed to not place in their age group, but it helped that I didn't place either!  Also, there were quite a few kids in the 8-12 range who looked like REALLY serious triathletes.  Like, they wore the bodysuits and had nice bikes and everything.  So I told my kids not to feel bad, I am SO proud of them for training and doing a triathlon! They are awesome just for doing it, no matter how they finished.

One more of the extra-medalists. Ahhh what a cool day. I love my family!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment