Saturday, February 11, 2023

The Great Outdoors- in little chunks

 We didn't go actual camping this summer!!  I was only okay with it because :

1. We went camping at Goblin Valley in the Spring.

2. We went to Lake Powell the Murray way (staying in a hotel) and it was fabulous,

and 3. In early August I made everyone go on a hike with me (pictured below) and go to a campsite in Heber for dinner and s'mores and general mountain camping fun. And then we left late at night so we didn't have to sleep there and risk getting rained on. It was wimpy, but it satisfied a bunch of my mountain camping needs.  And I think I had spent enough time in the California mountains the last summer to fill me up for a while. And also we got to be home the next morning for the Salem Days parade. 

Anyway, here we are at a waterfall hike on the Nebo Loop that we hadn't tried before.  It was fun, but way too short for my taste.  Only a half mile each way. It was a cool waterfall though. Here's Katelyn and Emma.

Owen and Whitney.

Emma by some yellow flowers!  And everyone hiking through the aspens.

Maris and Owen in a little mossy cove on one side of the waterfall. It was chilly in there!

The fam on both sides of the waterfall
soaking in the mist!  And my 2 girls who LOVE yellow! 
One more of Whitney and Katelyn with the waterfall. there was another one farther down, but we didn't climb down to it. 
And here's our fun trip to Heber- sans actual camping! We went for a walk and took a picture with this gate haha

smores!
the big kids chillin'
I love the forest so much!  and I love to take my family to the forest!
Hammocks are so fun too.
Silly teenagers.  And one more peaceful view.
Okay so this was a great moment!!  Eric had taken Owen and Maris to Texas for Jayda's baptism (I need to get some pics of that!!) and it was just me and these 3 girls home on a Saturday.  I suggested we drive the bikes to the river trail for a moderate ride (we were triathlon training at the time). They agreed to go, but when we arrived at the parking lot, the sky to the southwest was looking a bit ominous.  We decided to ride anyway (I was like "I'm sure it will be fine"). Well 5 minutes later it started sprinkling, then raining, then really coming down!  we rode for a bit when it was sprinkling, thinking it would pass, but eventually decided to stop and wait it out under some trees. After a while though, we were getting chilly and there was no end in sight. So first we danced in the rain!!
And then I gave the older girls the keys and said "ride as fast as you want back to the car, me and Emma will get there as quick as we can!" I will never forget that mile+ ride back to the car with Emma, she was like "Mom I can't see!" and it was true, the rain was driving right in our faces!  I just said "I know, it's crazy!  You are doing great, just keep pedaling as fast as you can and we will get back to the car. I'm right here with you, I'll make sure you are safe!" I just kept encouraging her that she was so strong and brave, and that this was the fastest way to get back.  I couldn't pedal for her, but I would stay right with her.  There's definitely a metaphor in there about our Heavenly Father's love and guidance!  Soon we made it to the car and went home to get out of our soaked clothes. It was a memorable ride haha!
Hooray for being outside in the summer!!

No comments:

Post a Comment