Sunday, January 11, 2009

choke it out

At dinner the other night Eric was cutting up Katelyn's lasagna for her and he popped a piece into his mouth. She said "no, no!" and started freaking out because he was eating HER food. Eric's like "sorry Kate I already swallowed it" and she commanded "choke it out!" We just looked at each other for a second as it sunk in what she was asking for, then busted up laughing, she really wanted him to cough it up! So as I rolled my eyes and laughed some more, he faked it! he got a little piece of lasagna in his hand and pretended to cough it up, gave it to her, and she popped it right into her mouth. We were dying. We probably shouldn't have given her what she wanted when she was being so ridiculous but it was so FUNNY.

Also, Katelyn has the most amazing memory ever. She brings stuff up that we had no idea she was even aware of. Example- about a month ago, also at the dinner table, Eric said to me "no way Jose" and I was like, "I wonder where that comes from, like what started it?" after he finished eating Eric ran down to the computer and googled it, then came up and was telling me what he found while I was cleaning up. Fast forward to this week. I said "no way Jose" to Katelyn and she said "I don't know where that comes from" in this questioning voice, it was so funny. Pretty sure she hadn't heard that phrase any time in between, but it sparked something in her brain and she spit out the response she had heard from me. Awesome.
Also this morning she was climbing on Eric and stopped to get a blanket and said it was her "saddle"- we have no idea where she learned what a saddle is. This afternoon she was making up a song about going to a treehouse, how does she know what a treehouse is?? The only time she's ever away from me is when she goes to nursery every Sunday, so they must be telling her something in there... :)
One more- today Eric showed her a picture of the Nauvoo temple and asked if she knew what it was (I'm assuming the answer he was looking for was "temple") and she said "that's where Mom used to live" !! I lived in Nauvoo for a semester, and I remember telling her about it a few weeks or months ago, and I showed her a picture, but wow.
She's great.

1 comment:

  1. Such a great story! It's amazing how good these little 3-year-old memories can be. At the same time, I'm always surprised how Henry doesn't seem to be able to remember some things he should (like what he learned in nursery 2 hours earlier). Funny kids!

    ReplyDelete