Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Boy or Girl?

You be the judge! We went on an extensive shopping trip yesterday and this is what Whitney wore. Two different cashiers said to me "what a happy little boy!" "is he tired of shopping yet?" and a couple of other comments with the word "he" in them. I just laughed and was like "yeah", I didn't feel like explaining that she's a girl! So my question is, WHY?
I know, I know, she's not wearing a bow of any kind, the obvious "girl" signal. Well A) her hair's too thin for any clip or barrette to stay in, B) she pulls out headbands every 5 minutes and C) when she wears a headband in the car she ends up pulling it down over her eyes and then can't get it off and she cries and I can't reach to help her while driving. We were going to be in and out of the car a lot and so lazy me, I decided not to put a headband on her. Oh and D) she doesn't have a headband that matches that sweater!!
So both the cashiers who called her a boy were older women, maybe back in their day all girls wore dresses so they assume that any baby in pants is a boy? Or maybe they've noticed the recent headband trend and assume any baby without a headband is a boy? Or maybe they both happened to be colorblind and thought her sweater was gray instead of PURPLE? Do little boys even wear knit sweaters? Maybe. Perhaps the brown pants were the problem. They do have tiny purple flowers on them-- hard to see. Anyway, it was really funny to me. Good news all you mothers of boys, LAVENDER is now a great color for you to dress them in. Very masculine. :)

10 comments:

  1. Ok.I totally hear you. And if you were wondering...Yellow shirts with a Trucks on then and jeans are a totally acceptable outfit for baby girls! When C was W's age he got the "she is so sweet" thing all the time! C'mom people! Look and think before you speak!

    And for the record, boys do not wear pink, lavender and white sweaters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i got this ALL THE TIME with natalie! people just aren't observent. SHE is a very cute little girl in her brown pants and lavender sweater. down with stereotypes!!! if you can guess what this is from you are the winner:

    "oh what a cute little girl"
    "he's a boy"
    "he is wearing pink..."
    "pink is his favorite color!"
    "..."
    ha ha ha ha ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  3. This happens to Eleanor all the time! She doesn't really like wearing bows, so I try to put her in as much purple and pink as possible and some people still don't get it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We get this all the time with people thinking Oliver is a girl. They somehow miss the monster truck or dinosaur on his shirt and assume he's a girl. I Think it's the red hair, for some reason girls are thought only to have red hair. Who knows?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually have gotten that comment with Isaac too. And I look down at his blue shirt (with cars on it), navy blue pants, and blue sweatshirt (with a football on it) and think to myself.... what?? Oh well, they'll grown out of this stage. And by the way, Whitney is an adorable little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha- i have the opposite problem... people think i would apparently dress my newborn girl in all blue outfits with baseballs all over it... I don't get it!! I want to scream... ITS A BOY!!!

    Whitney is adorable and i will not be using a lavendar sweater anytime soon for my son...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very funny! Sorry I missed your call. I'll make sure to not buy Hannah purple. =]

    ReplyDelete
  8. allison waht is that quote from? hahaha it sounds kinda familiar and now its bugging me haha and by the way rebecca...its ok one day christmas shopping i went to walmart in just a T-shirt and jeans and my hair puled back in a ponytail...an the old cashier lady was like here u go son, when she handed me my stuff.....ouch haha

    ReplyDelete
  9. She is a beautiful little girl people are just NOT observant....

    ReplyDelete
  10. EmmaRae gets that too. I bought her an adorable lavender coat with big pink flowers on it and since it has a little more blue than red in the purple people always are saying "What a cute boy". Whitney is very cute and that outfit screams girl. People need to look closer before they speak :)

    ReplyDelete