Tuesday, October 14, 2008

October 15th

Today is a special day for Eric and I, and our whole group of friends from our awesome freshman year at BYU. Today we celebrate the 8th anniversary of the Window Well!! 8 years ago tonight, Kristi, Brenna and I sat in the window well of Jon and Matt's room in Heritage Halls after midnight when we had to be out of the building. Then we thought it would be funny to drag over some blankets and pillows and say we were going to sleep there so we could see all the funny things the boys usually did after we left. And we ended up actually sleeping there... thus cementing our friendship forever :) Here's a picture of us re-enacting that night one month later.


So this post is dedicated to memories of freshman year. Here's one of the first fun things Brenna and I did with some boys from Penrose 80, and several other friends in our ward. Oh and Deanne!
Here's a shout-out to my freshman roommates! They were wonderful, I was so lucky. This is Natasha, me, Brenna, Emily, Elizabeth, and Christina.


So the boys lived in the basement of Penrose Hall, which provided many opportunities for fun, such as:
shopping cart rides
around the world ping pong!! and also bike rides, soccer games, locking people in storage cages, climbing the fireplace... oh and they had a second bathroom with free toilet paper!
One of my favorite memories of those boys was their act in the talent show, and I can only imagine how much fun they had preparing it late at night! A picture can never do it justice, but here Eric's drinking water, Matt is doing interpretive dance, Jon is telling an embarassing story from his childhood, and Ben, Taylor and BJ are providing appropriate background music. You'll have to imagine the rest! Sorry your face is cut off Ben.

This was our Christmas celebration, before Robbie left on his mission and Benjamin (BJ) joined the apartment. We girls got the boys a bunch of random dollar store gifts, and hung stockings for them out on the fireplace.

This was the best, mud soccer in the rain!! Remember this picture, with Eric's magic super long arms??


I had to put this one in, it's my only picture of Jenn! We didn't hang out much freshman year, too bad! I remember when I found out that Ben had a girlfriend and I was like "really??" :) It was a Valentines Day dinner, and Jon came home in the middle and we played interpretive countries to find out where he was going on his mission!

Mainly my freshman year was full of a lot of random fun such as doing trust falls off the telephone booth outside Carroll Hall.
And if I was ever bored or tired of studying (right, like I really studied much that year, although I thought I did!) I could always come over and find the boys doing something crazy and fun, such as:
123 Pass? Was that the name of this game?
playing with duckbar, kitchenastics, etc.
I enjoyed my friendship with each of the Penrose 80 boys, and obviously had crushes on several of them at one time or another, but fortunately for me Eric was in that apartment, and it didn't take long before he emerged victorious in the quest for Rebecca. Just kidding. We did end up dating though, cute.
The greatest thing I gained freshman year, besides Eric, was the friendship of these two girls, Kristi and Brenna. What great friends they were to me and still are!!

This picture was taken the morning we all moved out :( at the end of the year.
The boys went on missions and Brenna and Kristi and I continued to get together and celebrate October 15th anniversaries. And play Ultimate Husband. :) Kristi and I were roommates for the next 2 years and Brenna and I again our senior year. So much fun! Now we've all gotten our bachelor's degrees from BYU and moved on.
I had a ton of fun my other years for college, but there was nothing quite like freshman year. Maybe it was because my classes weren't THAT hard and I wasn't working yet. Maybe it was thanks to my roommates and all the awesome fun people in Carroll Hall and in our ward. But mostly it was because of these hilarious boys and Kristi and Brenna. Thanks for the good times! Happy October 15th!!!

6 comments:

  1. I still have the long-armed-Eric picture in that frame you made...classic.

    So what did you did yesterday?
    U.H....

    Good times. Thanks for the memories, Rebecca!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a GREAT post :) I didn't hang out with you guys too often that year, but I definitely have my own memories with all of you and it was so fun to see those pictures :) It's funny that all those things were going on while I was right across the parking lot doing crazy things with my own roommates. Good times!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh man what good times in heritage halls. isn't that hilarious that i met my husband there too... thanks for letting me come to visit you that year. i felt so special and loved!! and i have a confession to make- i thought i was soooo cool when i answered a question in your american heritage class. do you remember that? oh the pride ha ha oh and i just remembered that the first time i was in the same room as kent was at the midnight movie we went to!! crazy crazy. it is a good thing i met him after his mission though because he claims i wouldn't have waited for him. you are a better woman than i. =o] great post (as usual)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, Rebecca! You're right, where WAS I for most of those episodes? I definitely heard about them afterwards, and I guess reminiscing is at least half of the fun anyway . . .

    We looked for pics of freshman year, but apparently Ben didn't have a camera at that time. Oh, the days before digital! I have a bunch of pictures from freshman year and a few with the boys but really none with you girls. I guess I didn't see the light (how fun you all are) until after that year. Anyway, I'm glad you found some fun pics and posted them!
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post cracks me up. So fun to see you all just how I remember you. I'm glad we got to continue our friendship with overlapping classes in our major for the next few years!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Benjamin and I loved reading this post and looking at all the fun pictures! I wish I could have been there. It looks like y'all had a ton of fun! Thanks too for your nice comment on my blog. You're a sweetheart! We want to get together soon, October is a busy month for us, but hopefully we can work something out soon!

    ReplyDelete