Friday, February 18, 2022

Boston the Marathon

 A few more pictures of Boston before I post the marathon pics:

The North Atlantic! Different shells than I was used to, and the water was literally warmer than the water at Oceano in July!

Pretty house down the street from our airbnb. and this was our basement rental for the trip, the yellow one on the right.
running on the beach Saturday morning

Fun houses in the neighborhood we stayed in.
On the train!  And the beach the first night.

Pointing to our trainstop, Beachmont, on the map at the train station. And walking the 10 minutes to our place.

By the finishline!!
And on to race day!! I rode the bus with Britney, Marcie's friend from Mapleton that we had run with several times over the summer.  Then we met Marcie at the start!
walking from the bus to the start, and right before we started!  

during the race pics!  poor Marcie wasn't feeling good.  I stayed with them until mile 15-- should have left them sooner.  Love them but I could have gone faster!  Mile 15-20 was super slow and hilly, and I ended up running a 3:44.  Not amazing.  But not terrible for a difficult course.  I'm used to running downhill most of the way! 

I honestly was smiling the whole time though.... the atmosphere was incredible!  The ENTIRE course was lined with spectators, cheering so sincerely and creatively.  It made me tear up several times!  I was just so proud of the human race for being able to come together and celebrate effort and friendship and success.  So many kind volunteers, and so many people along the route handing out fruit and just cheering on strangers for hours.  I felt famous. and I felt united in something great with thousands of other people.  It did not disappoint!!!!! Worth every penny, every hour of training, every bit of pain. 
When I told my dad about it, he said it made him think about how in life, we can't see all the angels cheering us on.  I was used to running races with very few spectators. But in this race it was like my eyes were opened and I could see the angels cheering me on- such a cool thought that made me cry.  Thanks Dad!
At the finish!!

One thing I really loved was seeing Eric at mile 24. Here's the pictures he took of me approaching:

Then I stopped and hugged and kissed him with my sweaty self and he was laughing and then he ran with me for like 200 meters haha. and took some priceless selfies:





After the race we walked around for a bit enjoying the atmosphere, then found a great restaurant and ate the most expensive and delicious hamburgers of our lives, then made our way back to our rental.
It was a great day.

Walking around Boston the whole time, I felt like a celebrity.  Everyone wearing the Marathon swag was an instant friend. What a cool experience.

1 comment: