Tuesday, June 23, 2015

The rest of May

And suddenly, there were only a few days left of school!  I am so grateful the girls have done well with switching schools mid-year!  They both ended up with excellent teachers at ALA- as good or better (okay actually much better!) than their teachers at C S Lewis were.  And they both made some good friends and by the end of the year felt very comfortable at a new, larger school.  I miss the levelled math of CSLewis a little, but ALA's arts program is way better, they have an AR points program, I'm liking having half-days on Wednesdays, and I'm even liking driving the girls to and from school--they are home longer and I get to be there immediately to help them process the day.  ALA has a different writing program too, and I think Kate and Whitney both improved their writing skills. And I'm very excited about the possibility of Whitney getting into the Spanish Immersion Program for next year.... !!!

A week after the wedding Derek and Raycelan had a reception in Utah!
We got to drive my dad from our house up to the reception in Provo Canyon, and I'm so glad we did.  The kids had a blast with him sitting back there!  He told jokes and stories and asked them about things they were doing in life, it was great.
 I kept looking back and seeing this look on Katelyn and Whitney's faces, so I had to get a picture of it.  Totally enraptured with Grandpa Jamie. Such a fun opportunity!
 We got to have some more sister time. :)
 I was especially grateful to see this little chica.  (Here we are discovering we have some matching hair!)  I got to spend a precious hour with her going to a nursery to pick out some bushes for my front yard.  We got to talk a little, about life and growing up and her college choice (Fresno State).  I wish I could have a 12-hour drive with her like I got to have with Melissa and then Jonathan in April; turns out it can really bring you closer, that many hours of talking and listening and understanding!  Our world is too busy.  We need more time to just sit next to someone and listen to them and get to know their concerns and their soul.  Anyway I'm so grateful Jenae came all the way to Utah during her last 3 weeks of high school!
The kids spent much of the reception wandering around the beautiful park.
And we had to stop Owen and Jenna from escaping off into the mountains a few times lol.
 Raycelan's mom had them play this hilarious game at the reception, it was way cute.
 And Owen and Maris both injured themselves and had matching scrapes/bruises up on their left cheekbone!
 Derek was the fun uncle as ever- swinging Whitney around. Did I mention they danced together at the Madera reception?  So nice of him to give her his attention on his big day.

 And I got this quick picture of the girls with Grammy and Grandpa Jamie at the end.  Great times!
AND the best part was, at the reception, Karl took Dad aside and asked if he could marry Melissa, and then later that night he proposed!!  Come to find out, she had gotten her answer to prayer that she was supposed to marry him way back in April, so when she told me on the car ride "Rebecca we are getting married!" I believed her; I knew she meant it but my practical side was like "no, she just means 'I hope we get married' or 'I want to marry him'" but really she already knew, so my feeling that she was serious was right!  Anyway, it's so exciting.  He is so GOOD, and fun and kind.  We like him and we're so happy for Melissa!

And to end May, this started happening.  We started using our front porch!  It is so nice out there in the evenings, we can see the sunset but we're shaded, so we've been going out there a couple of times a week.  We've even read scriptures out there. I LOVE SUMMER!!  One night I had put Maris to bed and was reading to the girls while I thought Eric was putting Owen to bed, but I came up to find them just chillin' on the porch, talking about Batman. (notice Owen's pajamas!) I guess they needed some boy time. :)
On to summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment