Saturday, October 24, 2009

Kate's first race!!

Katelyn ran her first race today! It was a 200m race for 1-4 year olds, part of the BYU Homecoming festivities. It was SO FUN. She LOVED it, even though she didn't realize she was supposed to start and ended up in the back. And she didn't want me to hold her hand like many of the other parents so she didn't have that (I think unfair) advantage. :) We were so proud of her, and I guess she's just a steady long distance runner like me, not so much a sprinter. :) Here she is at the starting line, see the video at the end too.
It actually ended up being a REALLY exciting day for us: We met Aunt Elizabeth and Aunt Katrina and Phillip at the race, they wanted to cheer for Katelyn! And then we walked over to the BYU stadium where they were taping ESPN college game day! It was super fun, and we got 2 free $1 gift cards to Home Depot, enjoyed the exciting atmosphere and all the funny signs, and accidently met up with our cousins Kendra and Jeremy! We love that they're hardcore BYU fans, and that Kendra and I were both running the 5k race. So I ran my race and did well, it was great. The girls love to cheer for me. :)

THEN we decided to watch the Homecoming parade, and it was awesome! The weather was great and the girls got TONS of candy and a balloon and the music was fun. I left my camera in the car, sadly. I could have gotten some great pics of Katelyn "sneaking" out into the road to get some candy. THEN after seeing their pirate ship float in the parade, we decided to go out to lunch at this new restaurant called Pirate Island, it was so fun!! Great atmosphere, good food, pirate hat kids menus, and a guy making balloon animals for us at our table. Wonderful.
Kate got a parrot, she's staring, enthralled, while the guy makes Whitney's monkey.

We finished off with a productive trip to Kohls, and the girls fell asleep on the way home. Great times. Now if only BYU hadn't gotten it's rear kicked by TCU, it would have been a perfect day. :)
Here's the video, she's wearing green. I think you can hear Katrina laugh at the beginning :) and Katelyn is smiling THE WHOLE TIME! She had so much fun. :)
Enjoy at your own risk- do not watch if you have problems with motion sickness! I was running while taping! It gets better after the first little bit...

Enjoying MANY of my favorite things in one day (racing, FAMILY, beautiful fall leaves, BYU, going out to eat, parades, good shopping trips) = HAPPINESS!!

4 comments:

  1. wow! sounds like an absolute blast! and i LOVE the picture of whitney with the sideways hat =o] tell katelyn good job from us and that natalie wants to "run faster faster faster like katelyn" =o]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too cute. Looks like a fun day. Way to go Katelyn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun day. It sure makes me miss BYU! Katelyn is a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whew... busy day but sounds like it was lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete