Monday, April 22, 2024

While the kids are away Mom will play? Or climb a mountain

So I decided a couple of years ago, that when all my kids were in school I wanted to hike mt. timpanogos by myself.  Just take a whole day and do it.  Hiking with friends and family is fun, but I wanted to run as much as possible and just go for it! So, on Whitney's first day of school (the ALA kids' 3rd day) I did it!  The only thing I had to arrange was Eric taking them all to school- I was back before they got out!

I started at 7am, it was so lovely.  I ran any time it was flat-ish. passed a few people on the way up.

here's the flowers, and a crazy leftover avalanche that wasn't there the last time!


I just adore those flowers!!
The meadow is so gorgeous! And I had to stop and throw a snowball for fun, at one of the 3 snowfields I had to cross. In late August!  We just had so much snow that year.
Super fun part- the one little climb you have to do towards the end.
And I made it in just over 3 hours!! Hi Utah Valley.
Hi Heber Valley!

Me with the shack in the background.  I sat up there and ate a snack- then started down. 


The way down only took about 2 hours actually- I ran a lot of it and it was so fun! I stopped to get wet at the waterfalls, and actually sat in the freezing river for an ice bath at the end!  It didn't last long though, it was so cold it hurt pretty bad.
This was on the way home- Eric had been worried about me being up there during a thunderstorm, but I was safely down 2 hours before they came.  This was a crazy cloudburst though!
Anyway it was an awesome experience and I totally want to do it again. I just felt so free and capable. Everything was so beautiful and I could see and enjoy it at my own (fast but appreciative) pace!

No comments:

Post a Comment