Thursday, May 5, 2016

Running AKA my first true winter of running in my life!

facebook post:
Shout out to my sister Katrina Craven for signing up for a winter half marathon with me!! It has forced me to train this winter and has led to so many firsts/mosts! Such as: most miles I've run in December EVER-- I usually train very little! First 7-miler in December. First 10-miler in January. First 10-miler in 22* weather (brrr), and as pictured, first time ever drinking a Capri Sun on an icy trail, aka trying to open a Capri Sun while wearing gloves and not being able to feel my icicles, I mean fingers. Good times.‪#‎notreallythough‬ ‪#‎dreamingofsummer‬ ‪#‎nexttimewearskimittens‬
This is what it looks like to be prepared to run in 8 degrees.  Early morning dark.  It was totally lame and hard but it had to be done. #winterhalfmarathontraining #whydidithinkthiswasagoodidea?
It makes me shiver even now, and shudder, to think of it!  2 shirts and a sweatshirt, warm pants, 2 pairs of socks (one THICK!) scarf, hat, tightened hood, and 2 pairs of gloves.  Oh and the mini fanny pack to hold my phone so I didn't freeze my hands holding it, and the reflective vest for safety.  It took forever to put it all on!  Just to go run 3 miles up and down my street at 6am.  
But it was totally worth it when we got to go here for my race!!
To lovely St. George!



It was so much fun to run a race with Katrina.  And see her cute family we love them!! 
super cool path down a narrow canyon for a few miles in the middle of the race:
I was SO HAPPY to be running in a short sleeve shirt and shorts!  People thought I was crazy dumping water on my head at the aid stations!  I was like I'm not from around here, I'm used to running in 50 colder weather!
Katrina did awesome, I just felt bad she didn't know where all the mile markers were so she felt like she could have gone faster.
I on the other had was told by my phone each mile that I was going super fast!  I need to figure out how to put my splits on here... oh here's a screen shot of my mapmyrun from the race!  I got a 30 second PR from my steep Nebo half!!  It was awesome, I definitely noticed the lower altitude.  Great times.  I can't believe all those 7 minute miles, and my last one was a 6:44?? After running 12 miles?  I am awesome.  Haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment