Tuesday, May 19, 2009

I miss coaching....

Saturday something amazing happened.  
Here's the background.  I coached track and cross country at Provo High for 4 1/2 years.  In that time I got to know MANY wonderful kids (teenagers).  One of them is a kid named Jack.  He decided to run track his freshman year, and I encouraged him to run distance because I could see he was a hard worker and a good kid and I wanted him on my squad :)  He quickly proved to be a decent distance runner, and we were all excited to have another good solid runner for our cross country team that fall.  I coached him for 2 years, and he became one of my favorites.  Great kid, always positive, kind to everyone, always giving 100%, or more like 200%, so fun to have around. 
 Fast forward to this track season.  He's a senior, and his specialty race is the 800 meters and he's gotten really good!  So Saturday was the State Championships and I decided to go watch him run, and I got to talk to him before his race, so fun.  And then he went out and ran the 800 and WON!!!  Beating his main rival from Timpview High who usually beats him. Getting a huge PR (personal record) (1:56) the best of any kid I ever coached.  He is the state champion and I am so proud!!  Go Jack!!   
He also took 5th in the mile and anchored the Medley Relay team that took 3rd- they probably would have won but the 400 meter guy tripped and fell and got right back up but lost several seconds and lots of momentum- Jack got the baton in 8th place and got them back up to 3rd.

Anyway I just loved coaching and I really miss it.  There's no way I could do it right now, I took the girls to the State Meet and they could barely handle the 2 hours we were there.  But someday I hope to coach again.  I just love being around such great kids and encouraging them and watching them succeed.  :)

3 comments:

  1. How great to be able to see his progress. There's no doubt in my mind that you will coach again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats so awesome to watch him succeed like that. I'm sure you are such a fun and motivational coach!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats so cool you got to watch one of the kids you coached accomplish so much! I'm sure you're a great coach and will coach again someday!

    ReplyDelete