Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Happy Murray Day!!!

Last Tuesday, November 4th was Happy Murray Day!! For those of you who don't know, it's our family holiday, modelled after my family's holiday Happy Hansen Day. HHD was March 8th, the anniversary of when my parents got engaged. My mom started it when I was about 6 years old and it is now a beloved family tradition that my sister and I have started in our families.
SO, November 4th is our day, and here are a few traditions we've started so far for our family celebration:
1. special food, of course. Sometimes I want to go out to eat, but that didn't happen this year. I actually make breakfast, we have a picnic lunch, and special treats.
2. a little family gift, like a movie or a game. This year we got Memory, and Katelyn is really good at it if you play with about 10 cards. Fun!
3. The re-telling of me and Eric's dating/engagement story. Katelyn actually loved this- we got out our picture albums and showed her pictures, she loves it when we make up stories to tell her so it was great. Next year I want to take the girls to our actual engagement spot!
4. A family Olympics!! This was our first time trying it and it was so fun!! We just had a couple of ball throwing/kicking games, an obstacle course, and of course races. I kept thinking "this will be fun when it's summer time and we can do it outside" but duh, HMD will always be November 4th! So it will usually always be in indoor olympics. Here's Katelyn on the obstacle course, the only picture I took that day!

5. the last AWESOME thing we do is the Murray Awards! The rule is they have to start with M. ( I grew up getting H awards :)) So Katelyn got the Monologue Murray award because she can talk for hours on end, sometimes with no one joining the conversation. And Whitney got the Merry Murray award because she is so smiley and cute, you just have to look at her and she smiles! So fun.
So you should all copy me and start your own family holiday, it's the best.

4 comments:

  1. The day we got engaged, I started my journal entry this way: "This day will forever be known as 'Happy Palkki Day'!" ... We haven't done much for it the past few years, so thanks for the ideas!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome idea!! I love it and want to start it too! I hope you dont mind me copying the tradition. I'm having a hard time coming up with traditions that are just mine and Jeff's and not what we did as kids. But I love this! Hope you are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a great idea!! We are totally starting this tradition next year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love our family!! this really is a good idea, i mean think about it. mom won an award from some magazine over it! she should be proud that now the tradition is spreading to our families and now to your friends families too =o]
    i hope you don't mind me using the family olympics idea, or the M-words =o] we are going to have to brainstorm some good ones because i know mom has struggled at times with all the H-words. you are awesome and you have an awesome blog.

    ReplyDelete