Friday, August 22, 2008

Grocery Store Review

So I went to Macey's the other day and was reminded again how much I hate shopping at Wal-Mart, my usual grocery store. Here is a side-by-side comparison of my local grocery stores that will tell you exactly why. I've given each store a score on a scale of 1 to 10 in several categories: Location, Prices, Selection, Quality/Overall Feel, Checkout experience, and Service.

#1 Location
Wal-Mart- 8 this is the main reason why I shop here. It's only 5 miles from my house, right off the freeway in Payson.
Macey's- 3 the closest one is in Spanish Fork, this is why I never get to go there. :( I save myself at least $16.50 in gas per month by not driving all the way there to shop.
Smith's- 7 it's a couple miles farther than Wal-Mart.
Payson Market- 6 it's a couple of miles farther than Smith's.

#2 Prices
Wal-Mart- 8 they are cheap in general, and Wal-Mart brand stuff is usually a few cents cheaper than generic brand anywhere else. But they have NO SALES! Or fake sales, like "look these Oreo's are 17 cents on sale and they have been for the last 8 months!!"
Macey's- 9 cheap prices and great sales all the time.
Smith's- 5 definitely more expensive, but they do have some good sales. I HATE having to be a "member" though.
Payson Market- 8 they're pretty cheap.

#3 Selection
Here they're all about the same, except Payson Market has less. and Wal-Mart's candy selection stinks.

#4 Quality/Overall Feel
Wal-Mart- 5 We all know Wal-Mart is ghetto. Payson's isn't too bad, but I've still had a cashier tell me a dirty joke, and it's not always real clean in there. Mainly I have a problem with service there(we'll get to that category!!) and the very low quality produce at Wal-Mart. You have to pick through the fruit and vegetables to find good ones. Not cool.
Maceys- 10!!! First of all, they have car carts, big shopping carts that look like cars and your child can sit facing forward and drive them... the coolest thing ever! They have GREAT quality produce and the store is clean and organized... ahhhh, I love Maceys... Also at our old Macey's in Provo I lost things in the store several times (wallet, shoes, etc.) (we used to go there like every day) and they were always at the service desk by the time I got there to ask for them.
Smith's 7 It's pretty nice, no car carts though :)
Payson Market- 5 a little dingy and ghetto.

#5 Checkout experience
Wal-Mart- 1 this is the main reason I hate shopping here. Every time, EVERY time I go there I end up waiting for like 5 hours in the checkout line. Why do they even have all those other lanes if they NEVER use them?? But the problem isn't that the store's so busy, usually there's only one, maybe two people in front of me in line, but the cashiers are purposely trained to be slow, I swear. They take their sweet time, chatting away about their lives (always), or one time I got this kid who was getting ready to leave on a mission and he was practicing his "building a relationship of trust" or something, he would ask a question and then stop checking items to listen and respond! Ridiculous. So finally it's your turn, and you have to watch the screen for each item because somehting is ALWAYS the wrong price, seriously Kristi warned me about this and she was RIGHT. So you have to correct them, and then you have to be trying to hurry and put your own bags in your cart, while you pay, oh my. Terrible. And don't even get me started on self-checkout.
Macey's- 10!! completely opposite experience. They always have plenty of lanes open, the checkers are FAST and so nice, they actually have baggers, who will run and switch something for you if you accidently got the wrong thing, put your bags in a new cart if yours is full of a baby carrier, and push that extra cart out to your car for you!! And they give your child a free piece of candy, so nice.
Smith's 6- they're not super fast or helpful, just okay.
Payson Market- 6- fine.

#6 Service
Wal-Mart- 2 Boo. I have waited way too long at numerous counters in that store for an employee to show up. And when they do, half the time they're incompetent. And most employees (except the nice greeters) treat you like a nuissance. Not helpful or friendly. The Pharmacy's decent, that's what the 2 points are for.
Maceys- 9 All of their many employees are helpful and friendly. There's ALWAYS at least one person stocking produce, and everywhere you look there are employees around checking on things, ready and willing to assist you. And THEY ask if you need help! Also, a couple of Macey's trips ago, Katelyn was crying for some reason when we were in the produce section, and the nice man there gave her some smarties and a banana for free and talked to her so nicely and she was happy the rest of the trip.
SMith's and Payson Market get a 5. Average.

So there you go. Maceys, please PLEASE come build a store in Santaquin! We will all shop there, no one likes Wal-Mart! Please.....

8 comments:

  1. I agree with everything you said! Especially about all those stupid lanes Wal-mart has and only two open. I HATE shopping there. The only time I ever got through a line fast at the Wal-mart in Orem was when I went shopping at 7 in the morning. So frustrating. I avoid that place like the plague. Macey's is way better and within walking distance so I go there almost every day also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. bI agree with you for the most part, but our nearest Macey's is more ghetto than Wal-mart. I've actually had a really hard time going there since one of my students killed a guy in the parking lot. And we are guaranteed to run into a beggar every visit. But their prices are OUTRAGEOUS compared to Wal-mart or Target (and P.S. Target's Market Pantry brand is the best generic ever! quality & price) Last week we went to Macey's for their Food Storage sale and I swore it off forever because they didn't have half the stuff advertised in their add and NO RICE in the entire store (that I could find). But I know this is mostly my Macey's - I loved Provo's. I really enjoyed your review! Just wanted to vent...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you think they will ever build one in Phoenix?? Actually, make that Gilbert!! Reading this made me MISS MACEY'S!!! I LOVED shopping there when we lived in Utah!! And I agreed with your scoring and comments on everything- why, oh why do I always shop at Walmart??!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just my kind of post -- a Wal-Mart rant! I decided long ago that in most cases, it's absolutely never worth it to go to Wal-Mart, if for no other reason than that icky feeling you have inside for the rest of the day after you go. Occasionally I will go there when I'm buying a major item that I just know will be like $30 cheaper there, but when I do that it's in and out as quickly as possible.

    I do agree with Kristen! about Macey's never having their sale items in stock though. That's annoying. I remember being angry about that. I also agree with her about Market Pantry items -- they're fabulous. I'm fortunate now to be in a place where Target is super-close and I don't even know where the nearest Wal-Mart is, so I don't have to feel bad about the prices at Target being a little higher. I would DIE right now for a good, cheap grocery store like Macey's or even Smith's though. These East Coast prices are killing me!

    Obviously you have hit home for me with pretty much every topic on this post (including good old Payson Market). I think I could have at least an hour-long conversation with you about it sometime! Nice work -- great, thoughtful research :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I miss Maceys too!!! But there is NO hope of one being built out here. I do have to resort to WalMart and Costco. Yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow rebecca you appearently hit a sore spot for several other moms and spent your precious moments of down time on a lengthy post so i think you deserve a pat on the back! i'm sorry about your stupid walmart and that you have to shop there. i think walmart is totally ghetto too and am glad i don't have to shop there. the only redeeming quality is their cream of chicken soup which is 53 cents and is the only generic brand i have found that isn't strangely colored or keeps the shape of the can when you scoop it out to use it. you non-cambell users know what i'm talking about. also walmart carries a brand of plastic storage container called lock-n-lock which target does not, which i use for food storage and thus need a lot of (my friend who is a home-ec teacher has done her research and found that is the best kind and tons cheaper than tupperware modular mates). those are the only two reasons i ever go to walmart these days.
    the grocery store i go to is called "giant" and we love it. (well, aside from their generic brand cream of chicken soup for reasons already mentioned) it is withing walking distance of our apartment which is paramount considering i have no car except on tuesdays. they have a redbox in the store with is awesome and their produce is fresh, inexpensive and diverse. they are open 24hrs, and their personel is generally friendly and helpful. their sales are great, and they have this amazing rewards program for members (okay so i know you said you don't like having to be a member at smiths, but i don't mind it here as you will see) for each $10 you spend at the store you get one gas point (aka, one cent per gallon off when you fill up at giant) and their sales get you points too. for example they will have ten featured items and if you buy 6 of the ten you will get 40 points. what i usually do is buy like 3 of 1 thing and then 3 of another and that counts too (for my food/emergency storage) so really i'm getting like three birds with one stone. the last time i got gas i paid $2.98 per gallon!!! amazing huh? yeah so GO GIANT! but jen is right the east coast prices are harsh. i miss maceys in provo too...

    ReplyDelete
  7. You really hit it right on with Walmart..you could have been describing the one down the street from me. When that one first opened I started shopping there thinking that groceries would be cheaper but I finally realized that Kroger here is better in many various ways. I really like good produce, which walmart never has, so you do what you have to. Thanks for a fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rebecca, I love that you just wrote that list :) Amen sister! Two of my biggest problems with Walmart is that they are ALWAYS out of stock of at least a few items on my list - last week they didn't have a single avacado or baked potato! Hello! AND they randomly close the deli whenever they darn well please - they said that if they aren't getting enough customers they will just close it. That doesn't work for me. I come out of there pulling my hair out EVERY time, but the prices suck me in! Thanks for your humorous comparison :)

    ReplyDelete