Friday, October 16, 2015

It's That Time Again!!

Oh blog, how I have neglected you!!  TWO MONTHS AGO school started!  Katelyn is a big 4th grader with the most excellent teacher we've had yet.  Mrs. Fisher is my dream come true of the perfect fun, engaging, organized, challenging, exciting, so creative and wonderful teacher that I was afraid did not exist!  I thought my standard was maybe too high, but I was happily wrong!  I'm so thrilled every day when Katelyn tells me what they've done, especially in science and history, the subjects which get pretty much ignored by not-great teachers.  
Whitney is a cute second grader who still writes her numbers backwards but I'm not stressing it because I want her to get to be little!  She is doing SPANISH IMMERSION....crazy!  It was way hard at first, and after the second day she said she prayed that she wouldn't feel so weird in class not understanding anything, and it worked, she felt better, and I was so proud of her!  Her teachers are not excellent, and Eric's afraid it's just a waste of time and she has to sit bored for half of the day each day (half of the day is English and the other half Spanish- they have 2 teachers).  BUT first of all, I hadn't heard anything amazing about the 2nd grade teachers in general, so she's probably not missing out on a great teacher by not doing a normal classroom.  And secondly, about a month in, she started randomly saying an occasional word in Spanish to me here and there at home.  I noticed it, and whenever she initiated it, I would respond in Spanish (as best as I could! lots of Spanglish going on).  And since then it has slowly increased.  She now says several words a day to me in Spanish; it's so fun! She'll tell me new words she learns, or when we're working on her Spanish math homework she'll use a new word and surprise me.  The best is that she'll say a word in Spanish and then say "I think it means _________" and she's pretty right, I can tell she is picking some things up.  Adorable and I'm excited for the future.  I think we're in for this year and next for sure, but it will be hard to decide what to do when she's going into 4th grade because I will be sad for her to miss out on the amazing Mrs. Fisher if she's in Spanish immersion!  

Random- the first day of school we went to Costco to get Owen a Halloween costume because I heard they were there... he picked Batman and wanted to put it on immediately after the checkout!  Love it.  And on that day Maris said her 10th word, which was Bat-ba. haha!
The next week Owen started preschool!  We are doing it with 3 of my old friends from Santaquin and it is SO cute.  He's so big and starting to learn his letters and making some new friends and getting comfortable in new situations. And ofcourse he has an Avengers backpack. :)

Also Labor Day weekend I ran another half marathon!  My first time doing more than one in a year!  So I was in good shape, and it was the STEEPEST DOWNHILL EVER for the first 10 miles, it was CRAZY!! But worth it, because I got a HUGE PR, this is what I wrote about it on facebook:
Just did something I was pretty sure was impossible... Shattered my half marathon PR by 3 minutes! 1:36 baby. I guess Nebo IS the fastest half in Utah!! And I know this is silly, but now I'm kind of sad because I KNOW I'll never beat this one smile emoticon ‪#‎iloverunning‬

Here's me at the starting line.
Here's me around mile 8- feeling great and flying down the hill with this lady. We ran together for about 3 miles and then she pulled ahead of me at mile 11 when I started feeling all tingly- I knew I was overheating from running faster than ever!  at the mile 12 water stop I poured like 4 cups of water on myself and then I felt better and was able to pull off a 7 minute last mile.

before and after the finish line, it was so awesome!! And will never be beaten haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment