Friday, November 7, 2014

We Won Halloween!!

So we are all moved and I'm DYING to post about the new house, but first I have to post about the day before our move, which was Halloween!  Our family costumes have been in the works ever since LAST Halloween, and it turned out just as great as I imagined!!  As our brother-in-law Kjarom said, "I'm pretty sure you guys just won Halloween!" Best costume compliment ever. :)

It started in the morning with the girls getting ready for school. Whitney chose to be Professor McGonogal, even though I warned her no one would know who she was! At first she really wanted to be Rose Weasley, Ron and Hermione's daughter, but that's such an obscure character that we talked her out of it.  She debated being Cho Chang for a few months, and I suggested Luna Lovegood, but Minerva McGonogal won in the end.  So the glasses, brooch, and bun set her apart.
 Katelyn was of course Hermione, since she IS Hermione!  The big hair, Gryffindor scarf, Hogwarts "school uniform", and book bag/spell book were her costume.  And of course we all had wands, and I made the 3 kids Hogwarts robes out of some random black fabric my Grandma gave me...score!  We did forget to print out House badges and pin them on the robes...too bad. :)

 Here they are with little Draco Malfoy!  His trademark slicked back hair and Slytherin scarf identified him pretty well. :)  He wore his costume and carried around the wand and spell book most of the day!  So cute.

 Our jack-o-lanterns:
Owen wanted a smiley face one "just like the smiley face fruit snacks" and Whitney wanted a professor McGonagal one. :)
 Katelyn made a fun face design, and Maris' was rotten inside so I just drew on it. :)




And here is the series I like to call "Malfoy as a Child"
This is what he used to do before he became a mean teenager:
he rode a pink bike,
 went to the park,
 played with chalk,
 smiled,

 made weird faces in a toy car,
 drank from a sippy cup,
 and read stories with his mom. :)  All in his future Hogwarts robes. :)  Not so tough now, are you Malfoy??  haha.
 It was a fun day. :)

And then Eric came home and it was time to complete the family costumes-- with the central figure!

Harry+Ginny Forever!!  Adult facial hair Harry of course. :)
 He was a great sport and I had a lot of fun with my spray-on red hair!  You'd think with his glasses and scar it would be obvious, but it still took people a while.  I guess there aren't that many diehards out there!  Oh and we just used plastic tablecloths for our robes.  30 second costumes are the best.
 And Maris was as adorable as I had hoped as Hedwig!!  I love how the costume turned out.  When I saw that fabric at the store I literally gasped as the whole picture just came into my mind.  It was an awesome creative moment.  And she is the sweetest thing ever.
Harry and his faithful owl.

Draco and Harry dueling

McGonagal getting in on the action
The whole ensemble:

With our adorable neighbors Del and Anna Wheeler- they have been so kind to us, like having an extra Grandma down the street.  We will miss them!
starting down the street with all the muggles, capes blowing in the wind, it was great fun.  Oh and that's our GIANT moving truck in the background!
Owen running on his "track"- there's lines like this on many of the streets in our (old) neighborhood, and Owen calls them his track and likes to stay in the lines. :)
I love this one because I really thought Eric was a CUTE Harry Potter heeheehee. I love him.

And this might be my favorite picture of the night, Hedwig flying!!

Me and my little owl with the sunset.  Unfortunately the costume got tinted pink in a few places from my hair :(
Apparently Draco and Harry got over their differences enough for Draco to ask to be carried home. Friends at last.
And of course the classic selfie that I love to force my family into.

Halloween's not my favorite holiday, but you really can't beat this one.  I never have to dress up again because this can't be topped!  Also it was a great way to say good bye to the neighborhood and our friends; we saw a ton of people that night, and I got hugs at every door instead of candy. :)  And then we went home and finished packing up everything we own. Crazy times!



1 comment:

  1. I LOVE your costumes---even though I don't know anything about Harry Potter!! At least I know who Eric was.....haha. Maris was ADORABLE!! :)

    ReplyDelete