Wednesday, June 22, 2011

laughs

Laughs by Whitney:
"before my next birthday, we need to buy me some teenager clothes so I can have them before I'm a teenager." Uhh... I think you have a few more years to go babe! Thank goodness!

And the Family Home Evening lesson that will go down in history as the best first lesson by I three-year-old ever:
Usually when it's Whitney's turn for the lesson I make one up and have her help me with something in it. But this time Whitney wanted to have "a lesson about cousins".
Okay, so I tried to steer her toward a lesson about eternal families, or family history, or how to treat cousins and friends. But she wanted to do it herself!
15 minutes of secret coloring later, she said she was ready! So we had our song and prayer, and she went up to the front of the room with her papers. We were excited to see what she would do!
First she held up a picture of some scribbles and said, "today we're gonna talk about circles." then gesturing with her hands, she asked, "what do we think about a circle?" and then looked at us expectantly!
It took us a minute to respond, Eric and I both let out a surprised laugh and then I said "circles are round" and Eric managed "a ball is a circle".
Then she held up another picture and said "Now we're talking about cousins. What do we think about cousins?"
We were dying! Is she really asking us questions??? We started to get out some answers when she walked closer to the couch and said, "Katelyn, did you have one you wanted to say?" as Whitney nodded encouragingly- and Eric and I both lost it! Then we recovered "sorry Whitney, you're doing a great job, keep going!"
Katelyn answered, and Whitney returned to her post and continued, "What do we do with ours cousins?" We gave a few answers and then she was done.
It was the cutest thing EVER.
A barely three-year-old who knows the basics of teaching- use visual aids, ask good questions, encourage participation?? She's well on her way to becoming a master teacher, or missionary! We just love her.

Laughs by Kate:
K: How can you talk with your eyes closed?
me (with my eyes still closed): I don't know, I just do it.
K: my mouth doesn't work that way I guess!

"My heart was beating so fast, my heart was laughing!"

And just for fun, since we're on the subject of FHE, here's pictures from our Tangled FHE we had a few weeks ago. I got the ideas from sugardoodle.net. I made the girls fabric crowns for the end of our "Rapunzel's Hair Maze", shown below, where they had to figure out which statements were true and which were lies from Satan and follow the truths.
It was super cute and Katelyn wore her crown for 3 days straight afterwards, because she said she always wanted to "act like a princess" and the crown would help her remember to do the right thing. So sweet.



6 comments:

  1. Ok, you may like my writing better, but your content blows mine out of the water! Your girls are SO darling :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That fhe lesson is the best. She has a great teacher to learn from :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i loved reading all these posts! we miss you guys already!

    ReplyDelete
  4. they are so amazing It just makes me cry, I guess everything does. but the girls are both amazing and whitney knows how to teach because she has seen her parents do it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is melissa because i'm too lazy to sign out of moms and then sign into mine haha
    That FHE story was hilarious!!!!!! and SO SO cute!!!
    and i love Katelyn's quote about her heart laughing!!! adorable!!!
    i'm so excited to see you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete