Sunday, August 7, 2011

a good 3 weeks

The last couple of weeks seemed busy, but they were really good. Yes I felt sick most of the time. But I have had very few exhausting conflicts with the girls. They have been very good lately! Maybe we're just in between crazy phases, but I'm so grateful for the pause in constant parenting crises. I'm grateful that I have spent less time each day thinking "what can I do to prevent this from happening?" and more time listening to happy voices playing.

Two things we have done deliberately have contributed to this I believe. First, I have been praying for patience and help to pause before responding to my girls. Those 2 seconds of peace that I have been blessed with before I say something have helped me so much to be calm. As I have stayed calm, ideas and solutions have presented themselves. Also Katelyn and Whitney, especially Whitney, have stayed calmer and -surprise!- more rational. And we have had less conflicts- which proves my unfortunate theory that I was the one causing problems with my attitude. Yes, they would start it, but I needed to chill. And it has helped.

Next, Katelyn and Whitney have been physically challenged the last couple of weeks with swim lessons, and they both responded favorably. I think that success and confidence has affected their overall behavior. Oh, and also they both earned enough stickers from doing chores to go on dates with Dad.

So here's the pictures. This one's randomly unrelated to the rest, but it was so cool! We went to the parade of homes in Salt Lake, and this was the UP house, just like in the movie of the same name. SO COOL! The girls loved all the details of the movie in it. Then at a later house, a guy was handing out "Ellie Club" badges, you know, the grape soda cap on a pin, and the girls were amazed to get one! So cute.
Here's Whitney with her swim class. In the 3-year-old class she learned how to blow bubbles, dunk her head under, jump to her teacher, and worked on floating and stroking and kicking. They played a lot too, and she had lots of fun.
Katelyn's on the right, about to push off the wall and swim. I am SO impressed with her progress! She went from maybe being able to dunk her head under and refusing to even try to float or do anything remotely like swimming, to almost real swimming! She tried everything her teachers asked her to do, and was never afraid but talked about how much fun she was having. If only she had an ounce of body fat, she might be able to float better! As it is, she can front float okay, but back float she sinks like a rock. She can swim probably one body length though, and then she comes up for air. She loves jumping into the shallow end, doing cannon balls or belly flops. And she went down the big water slide all by herself and loved it! I'm just so excited for her to be able to enjoy the water!
Of course we had to go with Eric a couple of times so they could show him what they learned. Whitney's favorite thing to do is put on these floaties and "swim" in the lazy river.
The girls have gotten SO TAN from all this swimming! And Kate's hair is a little lighter too. Not so much Whitney's.
This drinking fountain is at the pool, and on the first day Whitney discovered this way to reach it, so funny.
The other thing that's helped Whitney I think is we put her in a little dance class with the City and she loved it! They had their end-of-the-summer performance on Saturday and she was SO cute! Sadly it was outside in a pavilion and the lighting was terrible, so our video turned out too dark. And the camera decided to run out of battery so I only got one lame picture. Here's the before picture:
And here she is during the performance. The BEST part was that the whole time she had this SUPER cute, somewhat forced "performance smile" on her face. You can kind of see it in this picture. It was SO adorable. She just lit up and did all the little moves, and seemed pretty proud of herself when they were done.
And now we'll finish up our summer with a little more boating, swimming, the fair, snowcones, and occasionally doing 5 chores to earn a movie. :)

2 comments:

  1. Have I told you yet how much I LOVE watching/playing with your girls? Every day is a good day, when it includes Katelyn & Whitney! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. whitney looks a lot like katelyn in that dance picture:) and yeah or empowering swim lessons!!!

    ReplyDelete