Sunday, January 24, 2010

Learning about myself

Hello! We're having a blissfully boring January. It's been really nice to not have much going on! Oh except my sister had her baby a couple of weeks early and I have my first nephew!! So cute.

ANYWAY, I learned something about myself the other night at a Girls Night Out with some friends. We had a book night- bring your favorite books and chat about them and swap. It was super fun, we had great fun conversation that after a couple of hours of books, turned to everything from bashing Walmart (even though we all shop there constantly- out of lack of other choices!) to the pros, cons and alternatives to giving money to bums on the street. What a great group of girls.

But what I learned about myself is this: Many of my favorite books fall under the same specific genre, same basic plotline even! Here it is: The world and governments as we know it have ended. A new, powerful and oppressive regime is in place, usually smaller than the current U.S. And some sort of rebellion is afoot. Here are some of my favorite books, which all follow this pattern:
The Alliance by Gerald Lund
The Uglies series by Scott Westerfield
The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins
The Giver by Lois Lowry
and these I've enjoyed but aren't in the "favorites" category:
The City of Ember
The Host by Stephenie Meyer

Weird huh? I never thought I could be classified in that way, and I can't believe I never noticed the similarities between these books before! But I like it! So if anyone has ideas of books like these for me, let me know! I need to get on goodreads, but I'm WAY too lazy.

Also, FYI, I highly recommend the Books of Bayern series by Shannon Hale. I love the idea of having power inside you, not like Harry Potter magic really( which I also LOVE), but power that you have to learn to control and balance. Also Shannon Hale has written some of the coolest sentences I've ever heard, fun ways to describe things.
Alright that's my post about my love of books.

3 comments:

  1. what a cool girls night idea! so, my question about your book theme is what are you doing about it? you are drawn to that type of book for a reason or it wouldn't keep cropping up in your life right? maybe that's just my personality but it seems like you are trying to tell yourself something! =o] do you enjoy movies about this subject also? you are cool. sorry i don't have any suggestions for your list =o]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny about the books--did someone point that out to you or did you realize it yourself? I love Shannon Hale's writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a cool girls night idea. I am not a fan of my ward's book club b/c the book picks are lame-o but that would be fun. I love the hunger games series and i have the uglies series on my list of books to read. I can't wait! I would recommend the book "The Prizewinner of Defiance Ohio" by Terry Ryan. Its not of that genre, but I don't see how anyone couldn't LOVE that book. I'm recommending it to everyone ever since I read it!

    ReplyDelete