Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Kate can write.

The last month or so, Katelyn discovered she can write! She used to draw pictures occasionally when she was upset or happy about something- she'd disappear for a while and then bring me a picture. But all of a sudden she realized that she could sound out words and actually write her feelings! It has been SO CUTE, I haven't been able to throw very many of her notes away like I do the pictures. ( My children produce at least 10 pictures a day on average, so I had to learn long ago how to emotionally detach myself from all but the most precious of them and throw them away. In the kitchen trash so they wouldn't be found!) The notes seem like even more a part of her than the pictures did, and I'm just so proud of her for taking this step. She's really growing up and entering a whole new world of reading and writing! So fun. So here are a few samples of her notes, with the interpretation underneath. I love how she separates all her words with dots! Now if only English wasn't such a ridiculous language, she might be spelling perfectly already!


Sometimes she writes really sweet notes for Whitney when Whitney's sad. Or sweet notes for no reason, like this one with a picture of a pig too: "I love you Whitney very much how are you"

And other times she expresses her frustration: "I am not going in to the tub" but with a heart to soften the blow??
This time she was mad at me because I offered to trade her for some Christmas candy that she didn't like- she could give it to me and pick something else from my stash. But she misunderstood me and ran off crying, then came back later with this:
"Why can't I have fun dips from candy canes why? flip it over mom"
then on the back she wanted me to "write why_____________________" she couldn't trade me what she wanted. Well I cleared up the misunderstanding and everything was fine, and I got this awesome note to remember it by. :)

Then one day she must have been feeling artistic and expressive, because she handed me this paper and told me that she wrote a poem! It says: When we "de don" (she told me "de don" means "play") there's always the right kind of weather but after a while the weather begins to change
I loved it and told her she should enter it in her school's Inspirations contest in the literature category. She was excited and re-wrote it on a piece of paper I made with lines. Completely on her own she decided to change "de don" to "play", and she added another line at the end. SO the finished poem went like this:
When we play there's always the right kind of weather
But after a while the weather begins to change
All the little children run into the house

Pretty good free-form poetry for a kindergartener. :) And the best part is, she took second place out of all the kindergarten, 1st, and 2nd graders at her school! She got a big ribbon and got to go on the stage at the assembly and her poem is going to the regional competition. She also got an honorable mention for the clay sculpture she made. She was so cute and happy at the assembly and we are so proud of her. :) Next year she wants to make up and film a dance for the dance portion of the competition, and write a song for the music portion. That should be exciting. :)

2 comments: