Monday, September 12, 2011

First day of school! First day of school!- name that movie...

We have entered a new phase in our lives. I knew it would never be the same, but still. You can't really know until you're there. It's a good thing Katelyn was completely ready for it in every way. She's smart, she's friendly, she's confident. She's obedient. Excited to go off and do something on her own every day. It's also a good thing I feel good about her school. She'll be safe and taken care of there. There's only 12 kids in her class, so she won't be overlooked. I'm glad I didn't have to worry about any of these factors. But I didn't think Whitney would miss her as much as she does. I knew I wouldn't really miss her for only 3 hours a day, but the impact of what we're getting into has definitely hit me. This is the beginning of her life outside of her home becoming more and more important as it takes up more and more of her time each day as she grows older. When I was in High school I felt like I was never home. And I know you get to that point gradually, but still. The time of me having control over everything she sees and hears is over! We had a good talk about how I want her to talk to me about anything that goes on away from home that doesn't make her feel good inside. Anything that scares or upsets or bothers her, I want to know about. I've realized more than ever how much I want my home to be a sancuary, a safe and peaceful, happy and loving place. Because I'm not worried about her surroundings yet, at school and music class and soccer. But I have a better sense now of how little time I actually have with my children before they're out in the world. Of how few years and how few hours in the day I will be with them to influence and teach them. So I've got to step it up a notch. Just be aware and more deliberate about the things I do and say with my kids. Because our lives got a whole lot busier a couple of weeks ago, and I can only imagine the years ahead. So I have to make sure the most important things and feelings find a place in our lives.
Whew.
Okay now on to the cute pictures.
Here she is on her first day. She asked me every 2 minutes all morning- " is it time to go yet??"
first day again- different pose
of course Whitney wanted a picture taken too
Second day- I made this skirt but she didn't love it because it was "too hard to climb on the playground" in it :)
Another day. I made this jumper out of an old dress of mine that I hadn't worn in years. It has ruffles all down the front, so cute. And she says it's comfortable too.
And here she is before her first soccer game that same week. She looks so cute in those shin guards! I'll save all the soccer commentary for a later soccer post, but let's just say 5-year-old soccer has been entertaining. As expected.
Hooray for the first day of school! And the movie is Finding Nemo by the way.

5 comments:

  1. love it. so true. trust that you are a great mom!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you make me want to be a better mom!!! ilove how you refashioned her uniforms!!!! awesome! and i want to come to a game! let me know:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katelyn looks so put together and anxious to get learning! She is so cute. Can't wait to have a piano performance on skype sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so cute! Hannah started kindergarten too this year. But with about twice as many kids in her class as Katelyn's. Hope you enjoy this new chapter in your life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute Clothing creations!!! Cute girl too:)

    ReplyDelete