Saturday, March 13, 2010

committed

Well, it's official.
I am registered to compete in the Salem Spring Triathlon on June 5th!! I am SO excited, and scared of drowning/having to be rescued halfway through the 800 meter swim. But my awesome cousins did a triathlon last year, and I am inspired to follow in their footsteps. I haven't tried to swim more than like 10 meters in like 7 years (when I went once with you, Brenna!). And before that it was about 12 years since I took swim lessons. But my sister Katrina was a swimmer in high school, and Melissa is now, so I'm hoping that the ability to swim more than one length of the pool is in my genes and will burst out with minimal effort. :) Biking isn't hard for me, I own a bike and biked 7 miles yesterday no problem. I can easily work up to being comfortable doing 12 miles. And we all know I could run a 5k in my sleep. :) So..... this will be a great challenge for me. Especially since the closest pool to me that opens before May 29th is 30 minutes away.
Why a triathlon? Basically, running is no longer a challenge for me. I will continue to train and race a couple of races a year, and greatly enjoy it. But THIS IS MY YEAR! I am not pregnant, and I do not have a small baby. I am healthy and financially secure. So I've decided that this is my year to try something new, to learn and to improve myself and to serve others. And trying a triathlon is one way I'm doing it.
I've already bought a bike helmet and swim goggles. Here I go.

6 comments:

  1. That's so exciting! Is the swim in a pool or in open-water? How far do you swim? I wish I lived near you so we could go swimming together--I'd forgotten that you came with me at BYU. You'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. der--800 meters...you had it written right there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited for you!! You will love it - I am sure. I'm proud of you for trying something new. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are inspirational! i knew i looked up to you with good reason =o]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome!! I am actually signed up for the St. George Tri May 15th. I've been "training" for a couple months now. Good Luck!!!

    ReplyDelete